Thursday, January 24, 2013

a simple change

It's amazing what a simple change will do.  I am referring to my new eating lifestyle.  I am vegetarian.. Well, have been since the new year and it feels A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!  I have finally lost weight, something I have been trying to do since.... well last year, but instead of losing I kept gaining even though my eating habits never changed and I recorded what I ate on weight watchers.  I decided to go vegetarian because on the days we didn't eat meat, which was 3-4 days a week, I felt incredible.  I felt like I had all the energy in the world.  I wasn't  sluggish or dragging.  It really has been an easy switch with great blogs such as oh dear drea and oh my veggies.  Seriously, those are the only places I get recipes from and let me tell you they are AMAZING!  I LOVE Drea's recipe for biscuit and bean stew, that is some serious comfort food.


 I also love her sweet plantain and yucca stew.


 I never would have tried anything like to be honest. I really stepped outside of my box with that one. That was the first adventurous recipe I made.  Now, it is just an everyday thing.  I mean hell, I made  quinoa veggie burgers, the link to the recipe is on oh my veggies,


 and my husband simply raved about them saying how much like a burger they were. Okay so yeah he was vegetarian for 45 days while in India, but still... I have to admit cooking tofu was an adventure for me as well. I never knew what on earth to do with tofu. I thought it was good, always have, but how to prep and cook it was a complete anomaly.  Not only do I use tofu but I use tempeh. I admit that is simple to use but to eat it.  I had no clue what that was until maybe 6 months ago.  I have to say so far I have lost I don't know how many inches, lets just say all of my pants I bought last year are loose.  I know it's a good problem to have, but I can't express to you guys how much I hate belts.  I don't just hate them I loathe and despise them.  I DON'T DO BELTS!  So instead of putting on a belt, I wind up looking like an idiot pulling up my pants all day or flashing my crack...cute huh?  I feel fantastic and I cook with new ingredients. With all of this said, Carlo and Audrey are not vegetarian, it isn't a big deal to me, never will be.  I suppose it's because I am vegetarian not because of an issue with animals, but because I feel better. Plus, any meat that they do eat is grass fed, antibiotic free, and I am okay with that.  I have watched all the documentaries and all would never get meat from an animal that was inhumanely treated.  So there you have it.  A simple change that made all the difference to me.  I told myself vegetarian for 1 year, but I have a feeling I will be vegetarian for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment