Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Papa's Day

Hello Dear Readers,

     Happy Father's Day to all you father's/dad's/pop's/ and papa's out there.  While I think it's nice to have a day to acknowledge father's in this house we simply don't believe in gifts for mother's or father's day.  A simple "Happy Papa's Day" a card, and breakfast is just perfect.  So, this morning I made some doughnuts.  I have been wanting to get a doughnut pan for quite sometime thanks for seeing Carol's awesome looking doughnut recipes over at Simply Gluten Free and thought what better time than now to get that pan!!  Carlo loves doughnuts, specifically Meche's. They are the BEST doughnuts I have EVER had by far.  Since Meche's are no longer something either of us can eat, wah wah wah wahhhh, I wanted to get as close as I could to making the real deal without them tasting "funny". So, I searched for recipes, AKA I googled GF doughnuts, and came across THIS awesome recipe for doughnuts.  Of course, I tweaked it and made it my own.  I also made some chocolate doughnuts but I would be lying if I said  I followed THIS recipe perfectly, because well...I didn't.  I once again tweaked the recipe and didn't keep track of what I did.  I have yet to follow a recipe I find, I always do something to it. So, once I make these chocolate doughnuts again, you know I will, then I am going to write down what I added. For now, you will have to settle upon these buttermilk cinnamon sugar topped doughnuts. They are springy and have the taste of a cake doughnut, our personal favorite. ENJOY!

                                                   Father's Day Doughnut
                                                   
                                                    serves about a dozen

1 egg
3/4 c. buttermilk (since we are dairy free we used 1 TBLSP lemon juice and the rest almond milk)
1/8 c. butter melted (we use Earth Balance Sticks)
2 1/2-3 c. flour mix ( I use Pamela's Ultimate Baking Mix)
1/2 c.sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar & cinnamon set aside

NOTE: I did not use salt or xantham gum. Pamela's has xantham gum and I accidentally left out the salt but find it's perfect without it.


Preheat oven to 450 degrees (please remember I am at sea level so adjust temperature accordingly)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and wisk together.

Combine wet ingredients (buttermilk, egg, butter) Mix well.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well with spatula until all lumps and bumps are out.
Put into your doughnut pan.  I use this one here (it will be more sticky than doughy like a biscuit dough for example)


Put in the oven for 5 minutes. (Some should be spotted slightly golden brown on top)

Let doughnuts sit in pan for 2 minutes once our of the oven.

Get your cinnamon sugar ready.  Put a little butter on the top (I literally used the stick of earth balance, peeled back the paper and put on the tops)  then dip the top of the doughnut into the cinnamon sugar.


Carlo on the day he became a papa.  That face says it all!





No comments:

Post a Comment