Monday, October 17, 2011

Things I wish I would've known before having Audrey


Audrey has started teething once again.  This past week was crazy with sporadic naps, more like one 45min nap a day.  I couldn’t figure out what on earth it was until my husband made a good point.  If Audrey doesn’t go down within 10 minutes, something is up.  It’s just figuring out what IS wrong.  I think because he works he is able to analyze certain situations than I am since I am with her all day.  After some investigation, AKA looking in her mouth, Carlo noticed that she is cutting 2 more top teeth (once they are through, that will make 10 teeth for Audrey, she is 8.5months old!!!!! )  In any case, this whole situation got me thinking of things I wish I would have known before having Audrey.  Here’s what I came up with: ( it’s not in any particular order)


  1. Teething messes up/mixes up schedules.  Naps are crazy and all over the place and nighttime sleep is not the best.  Some nights are better than others of  course. We don’t have/don’t believe in set schedules.  We have round about times.  Before these last two teeth decided to come through, Audrey would go to sleep between 9-9:30 and again between 12:30 and 1.

  1. Babies can teeth as early as 2 months.  Yup, that’s right, 2 months, that’s when Audrey started teething, she cut her first 2 teeth around 4 months!!

  1. Babies who are teething tend to tug at their ears simply because they don’t know exactly where the pain is coming from.  Our mouths and ears are closely linked. So, babies sometimes simply tug at their ears, this may not mean they have an earache. (of course this isn’t always the case) 

  1. Brush you babies gums.  Even if they don’t have teeth brush away! J Supposedly, plaque can build up on those gums and make teething pain worse.


  1. Don’t try to schedule your baby, watch for their signs and go from there.  That allows you to feed on demand and makes for a happy baby and mama.

  1. If you’re little one won’t go down easy, then something must be wrong: teething (maybe you didn’t notice. I know after that eighth tooth came in I figured we would get a break from teething, which we did, so much of a break that  it wasn’t the first thing I thought of)  gas ( I keep a bottle of Hyland’s Colic Tabs on our bedside table) did they poop that day (yup you read that correct, Audrey doesn’t always poop everyday and usually that night she is gassy, I try to give her fruit like pears , that will help her)


  1. WEAR YOUR BABY!! I had a Moby wrap before I had Audrey but didn’t wear her until she was 2 months old.  I wore her during all of her naps for quite a while like this simply because it worked and she liked it and I LOVED her being close.  She was happy, I was happy, end of story. J I still wear Audrey, as a matter of fact I put her in her sling while I grabbed a couple things from the grocery and put her in her ERGO (on my back) while I cooked us breakfast and picked up the house a little.

8.   Trust your instincts.  Everyone will have opinions, especially if you are doing         something that’s not mainstream like: co-sleeping, wearing your baby,            breastfeeding in public, skipping baby food and doing BLW, having a drug-free natural birth, using a midwife, and using homeopaths.  I say everyone is entitled    to an opinion. I heard some people who were very close to me say “you’re            spoiling that baby by wearing them so much” or “she will never learn to be on her        own if you wear her so much.” I sadly didn’t listen to my instincts and stopped wearing Audrey so much.  She became very fussy and it was not fun.  It wasn’t     her fault it was my fault.  I stopped wearing her for quite a while and am now        getting back in the habit.  Just because she can crawl doesn’t mean that she       doesn’t want to be held.  I find the days go by quicker and she is less fussy when I           wear her.  

  1. You don’t have to potty train, you can do elimination communication.  Start it before they are 6 months old and it will make it MUCH easier.  (this is a work in progress since we didn’t start till 7 months and I am still watching for cues)

  1. There is a home remedy/homeopath for EVERYTHING!! Seriously!!  I know you have heard me talk about stuff for teething but how about a seed tea for gas.  It works wonders.  Also, catnip can help  your little one for teething and help YOU relax and slow that list of 10,000 things you have to do. 

  1. Breastfeeding is truly wonderful.  I knew not matter what I was going to breastfeed/pump.    I know of women that have had a rough start with breastfeeding, persevered and have found their groove. I was lucky, I had no issue.  I think either way, once you get into the groove, there is nothing more fulfilling than knowing that you are providing the nutrients your little one needs.

  1. Nap when you little one does and when you need it.  I wish I would have done this when Audrey was young.  I thought of everything I needed to do while she was napping and didn’t nap.  I then got very sleep deprived, became ridiculously cranky, and build up quite a sleep debt.  So, trust me I KNOW what I am talking about.  I learned my lesson though and if I am tired these days I nap with her no if ands or buts.  Cleaning the house can wait.  Plus, how could I not want to snuggle with my little one. 


I think that’s all for now readers!  Don’t worry I have more posts coming.  I am working on 3 post simultaneously.  I am a multi-tasker and my brain is all over the place, especially these days.  I am sure y’all understand that! J 

1 comment: